FLU SHOT, FLU (INFLUENZA) VACCINE
Influenza, commonly referred to as flu, is a highly contagious disease caused by the influenza virus and should be vaccinated against annually.
The vaccine is most effective for 3-4 months, so for this reason, it is advisable to get the flu shot in late autumn to ensure you are protected through peak flu season. Protect your family’s health this flu season and book your flu vaccination at Park Medical Group today.
Influenza is highly contagious and spreads via coughing, sneezing or touching contaminated surfaces and then touching your nose or mouth. Good hand hygiene practices such as hand washing or the use of alcohol hand rubs:
- before and after eating,
- after going to the toilet,
- after blowing your nose or coughing,
- before and after helping someone who is sick
are important measures that help prevent the spread of flu and other diseases.
Flu can make existing medical conditions worse, cause high fever and pneumonia.
The vaccine is free for people most at risk of complications from flu including:
- pregnant women
- children aged 6 months to less than 5 years
- people aged over 65
- people with medical conditions that put them at risk:
- heart disease
- kidney disease
- chronic respiratory conditions
- chronic medical conditions that required regular medical attention or hospitalisation in the last year
- chronic neurological conditions
- impaired immunity
Although the vaccine is free for those meeting the criteria outlined above, you may be charged a consultation fee when visiting the doctor.
Please phone reception to make an appointment.