Park Medical Group is pleased to announce onsite iron infusions.
This is a very convenient method to replenish low iron levels
Why we need iron?
Iron is an extremely important element that is required by the human body to produce haemoglobin.
Haemoglobin is the protein molecule in red blood cells that carries oxygen from the lungs to the body's tissues
If your iron in the body gets too low, the haemoglobin level may drop and you will experience symptoms of iron deficiency anaemia such as
- Lack of energy or tiredness
- Shortness of breath
- Poor appetite
- Poor learning and shortened attention span
- Increased susceptibility to infection
When does someone become deficient in iron?
This could happen when there is
- Excessive blood loss (Eg. excessive menstrual blood loss)
- Poor absorption from the gut (Eg. Coeliac Disease, Inadequate intestinal adsorption, chronic diseases)
- Inadequate oral intake (Eg. Vegetarians, Vegans, Poor eating habits)
Who Needs Iron Infusion?
Anyone who is low in iron needs iron replacement. An iron infusion may be needed if someone is
- Experiencing symptoms of iron deficiency ( see above)
- Unable to tolerate oral iron replacement (due to side effects especially constipation)
- Needs rapid replacement of iron (Eg. severe iron deficiency)
- Experiencing loss of iron more than the body can absorb from the diet (Eg. heavy menstrual flow)
Iron Infusion at Park Medical Group
All patients who need an iron infusion will be reviewed by one of our GPs. Any underlying reason for your iron deficiency will be addressed. The procedure will also be explained and informed consent will be obtained. After the iron infusion, you will have a follow up blood test after 4-6 weeks.
We offer safe iron infusion (Ferric Carboxymaltose) at your convenience with minimal waiting time.
Please phone reception to make an appointment.